It’s been awhile since I’ve made a new granola bar recipe, mostly because I always make my Peanut Butter Protein Bars cuz they’re just so tasty!
But these Chewy Honey Nut Granola Bars are just as good, if not better, and just as customizable. I simplified the ingredient list a bit and you can use whatever nuts or nut butter you have on hand! They’re also chewy, dense, stick together when cut, and super filling! It’s so convenient to have these on hand for a snack or breakfast on the go. They’d also be the perfect camping trail snack. Oh summer, please hurry.
The best part of making your own granola bars though, is that you know exactly what’s in them. Have you checked the ingredient list on your favourite granola bars lately? Oy! Some of them can be pretty scary. You’d think oats, fruit, nuts…what else do they need to add? Well, a lot apparently. Here’s the ingredients from Quaker’s “wholesome” chewy granola bars:
GRANOLA (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, CRISP RICE [RICE FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, MALTED BARLEY EXTRACT], WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED WHEAT, SOYBEAN OIL, WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SODIUM BICARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, CARAMEL COLOR, NONFAT DRY MILK), CORN SYRUP, BROWN RICE CRISP (WHOLE GRAIN BROWN RICE, SUGAR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SALT), PEANUT BUTTER SPREAD (PEANUTS, SUGAR, PALM OIL, SALT), SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (SUGAR, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, COCOA BUTTER, SOY LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT), INVERT SUGAR, PEANUT FLAVORED CHIPS (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, PARTIALLY DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR, LACTOSE, DRY WHEY, DEXTROSE, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, VANILLIN [ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR]), CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, GLYCERIN. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF CALCIUM CARBONATE, SORBITOL, SALT, WATER, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BHT (PRESERVATIVE), CITRIC ACID. This information came directly from their site, here.
I try to avoid any that have ingredients I can’t pronounce, mystery ingredients, or a long list of ingredients. So, avoiding these and making my own sounds like a great plan.
These one’s are packed full of healthy ingredients like:
Rolled oats: Tons of fibre, super filling, and a dose of those ever important whole grains.
Ground flaxseeds: because Omega-3s =brain booster = mood booster!
Pumpkin Seeds: Excellent source of iron, protein, and magnesium (also a mood booster!)
Almonds and Peanut Butter: Protein and healthy fats!
Honey: Because they’re “honey nut” granola bars. Nuf Said.
Pack these up next time your headed for a road trip, camping trip, or just needing a new snack for the work week. Enjoy! And let me know what you think in the comments below!
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups crisped rice cereal such as Rice Krispies
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- ⅔ cup honey
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Line a 9 x 11 rimmed baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add rolled oats, rice cereal, ground flaxseed, pumpkin seeds and almonds and mix with a spatula to combine.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the honey, peanut butter, vanilla and salt and heat slowly over low heat until smooth and softened.
- Pour the honey mixture into the oat mixture and mix thoroughly with a spatula until everything is evenly coated. This may take a few minutes, but it will get there!
- Put the mixture into the lined baking sheet and press evenly into the pan with the back of a spatula. Try to get it as firmly packed in as possible so that it stays together when cut.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight before cutting into bars or squares.
- To cut, lift the entire slab of granola bar out of the pan by lifting the parchment or wax paper and place on a cutting board. Cut into squares or bars.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Separate with parchment or wax paper if stacking them to store.