This Dark Chocolate Cherry Protein Shake has over 20 grams of protein, naturally, without any added protein powder! Just the good plant-based stuff from whole, healthy, natural foods. What is not to love?! It’s also so filling you will not be snacking between breakfast and lunch, I promise!
Does anyone else sorta despise protein powder? I find most of them way too sweet to ever use even close to a full scoop. If any, it’s a teaspoon just to sweeten up an overly vegged out smoothie. I’m usually throwing nuts, seeds and spinach in my smoothies anyways, so protein isn’t something I’m ever worrying about. Especially if I’m making a smoothie like this one! But I do notice that the more protein rich ingredients I use, the longer I’m satisfied.
Seriously though, this Dark Chocolate Cherry Protein Shake can’t get any more delicious. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake, and I’m only slightly exaggerating :). And you can sweeten it more if you’re not a dark chocolate fan by adding half a banana, or some maple syrup to taste.
This is mega healthy as well, including a decent punch of greens for good measure, superfoods like hemp hearts and cacao nibs, plus healthy fats, fibre filled oats, and yummy antioxidant-rich cherries. Frozen cherries give a super creamy texture, much like frozen bananas do, so I always buy a giant bag of them to keep in the freezer. If you haven’t tried them in a smoothie, you must!
Let me know how you like this smoothie! And I’m super curious as to how long it keeps you full?! Let me know in the comments below! Enjoy!
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach or baby kale leaves (about 2 handfuls)
- 1.5 cups frozen dark sweet cherries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon all natural almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 - 1.5 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice
- ¼ cup rolled oats, or sub an additional 2 tablespoons hemp hearts for grain-free
- pinch of salt, optional but helps to bring out chocolate flavour
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs, optional
- maple syrup or half banana, for added sweetness, optional
- 3-4 ice cubes, optional, for a thicker shake
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender, starting with 1 cup of almond milk, and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional ¼ - ½ cup of almond milk if needed to blend, or if you prefer a thinner shake. Taste, and if you like a sweeter smoothie, add 1-2 teaspoons of maple syrup or ½ a banana, preferably frozen. I prefer it without for a nice dark chocolate taste, but up to you!
- This makes 1 meal replacement size smoothie/shake or 2 snack size shakes.