I love St. Patricks Day!!!
This is one day where I especially miss my home town of Chicago, and my little neighbourhood of Beverly where I grew up. There is no place on earth that celebrates the Irish on St. Patty’s Day like Beverly does. Our own parade, bagpipers, Irish dancers, so much beer, and so much fun. It used to be my favourite holiday, but I’ve missed it these last few years living here in Calgary! So, I’m having my own little celebration by making this Vegan Shamrock Shake.
It’s minty, so creamy, so shake-like! OH, and all natural, totally pure, totally healthy. Totally. Tots.
Here’s why it rocks: Bananas contain tryptophan, which is needed for the body to make serotonin, one of our happy, mood boosting hormones. Hoo-ray! Bananas are also good for your nerves, muscles, liver, kidneys, and they help out the good bacteria in your colon. They also help you sleep better and improve your immune system. Yes, please!
Mint helps with insomnia, upset stomachs, and calms your nerves. It’s also been shown to help increase the number of cells that kill pathogens, bacteria and cancer cells. It’s a feisty little herb!
Together these two ingredients make a pretty great sleep aiding, calming of the nerves smoothie, wouldn’t ya say? And it seriously doesn’t even taste healthy! I love making mine extra thick by using as little liquid as possible to blend and then adding a good handful of ice cubes. Eat it with a spoon and you’ll get those little pieces of dark chocolate in every bite. It tastes just like a mint chocolate chip shake.
Of course, you can be super healthy and omit the chocolate, but it’s a shake, so why!? WHY!? (By the way, chocolate has magnesium, which most people are deficient in, and which has been shown to be associated with depression, so yeah, it’s necessary!)
Enjoy everyone, and Happy St. Patricks Day!
- 2 small frozen ripe bananas (peel, dice, and freeze in an airtight container overnight)
- ½ cup packed mint leaves
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, or sub milk of choice
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 loosely packed cup of spinach (optional, makes for a brighter green color)
- 1-2 squares of dairy free dark chocolate, finely chopped, or 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate in a blender. Blend on high until smooth and the consistency of a milk shake. Add more almond milk for a thinner shake, or more ice for a thicker shake.
- Poor into a glass and top with chopped chocolate.
- Enjoy right away!
Nutrition information for bananas and mint from Prescription for Dietary Wellness by Phyllis A. Balch.