In need of a big bowl of healthy goodness but also in the mood for something a little more naughty? This just might trick you into thinking you’re eating chicken wings! Hah! totally kidding, that’s ridiculous, but this does hit the spot when you’re looking for something crisp, crunchy and totally satisfying!
My pregnancy cravings have been pretty minimal… I went through a cheese everything phase, then that turned into roasted potatoes on the daily, and then one day walking through Costco I saw Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and I just had to have it. I literally have never bought the stuff in my life but for for some reason, the two giant bottles that you have to buy together just needed to come home with me. Since then, I’ve become the old lady in the commercials, and I literally put that shit on everything. I obviously started dipping those roasted potatoes in it, and then when I was out of the other obvious uses (eggs, hummus toast, avocado toast, pizza, sandwiches, veggie burgers, as a veggie dip, etc., etc.) I made this salad and I did not regret it.
Buffalo sauce/hot sauce and ranch is an obvious combo, so I figured that was the way to go. The ranch provides that cool creaminess to balance out the heat, and that, mixed with cold crunchy veggies and crisp romaine lettuce is just perfect. I could eat this every day.
Whether you have constant cravings for Frank’s like me, or are just a hot sauce junky, you gotta try this salad! Let me know if you do and leave a comment below!
- 1 14 oz. can chickpeas; rinsed, drained and patted dry
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce, or hot sauce/buffalo sauce of choice, divided
- 4 cups chopped and washed romaine lettuce
- 1 celery rib, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup thinly sliced purple cabbage
- ½ an avocado, diced
- ½ recipe for Vegan Ranch Dressing, or ranch dressing of choice
- additional hot sauce, if desired
- *VEGAN RANCH RECIPE*
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour in boiling water, or 8 hours in room temperature water
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ cup non-dairy milk, I use almond milk
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 generous pinches of pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a small mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce and spread onto a baking sheet. Don't rinse out the bowl, you'll use it later. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing once half way through.
- Make the Vegan Ranch Dressing, if using, by combing all ingredients in a high speed blender. Season to taste with salt, pepper, or more fresh parsley if desired and set aside.
- Meanwhile, prep and chop remaining salad ingredients and distribute between two bowls.
- When the chickpeas are done, return to mixing bowl and toss with an additional 2 tablespoons of hot sauce.
- Distribute chickpeas among bowls and top with Ranch dressing and additional hot sauce to taste. Mix and enjoy immediately.
- Chickpeas are best when fresh but will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.